Tuesday, April 07, 2009

2009-04-07 Tuesday - Friendship, Duty

A plane disappeared into the jungles of Venezuela a few weeks ago. 6 souls missing.

On Thursday this week, Bob, one of my oldest and dearest friends will fly to Venezuela to help coordinate a spotter plane Search & Rescue effort for a close friend of his who was the pilot of the downed aircraft.

I am on standby as the emergency backup reserve force for the Search & Rescue effort that is about to commence.

If his plane should go down in the jungle, I am his backup. He will be carrying a Satellite GPS tracking device - with a special encoded "Rescue Me" message pre-programmed. We have discussed protocols for keeping me updated on his status - and informing the U.S. Embassy of his mission, location, and flight plans.

My gear is always packed and ready to go at a moments notice - stored in a duffel in my closet. A practice I learned during my brief time with the U.S. Army's 1st of the 75th Airborne Infantry Ranger Battalion - and later during my time serving with the U.S. Army's Rapid Deployment Force, 24th Mechanized Infantry Division, and the 2nd Squadron, 2nd Armored Cavalary Regiment.

Within 36 hours, I can be boots-on-the-ground in Venezuela.

I've known Bob for 26 years. He's the kind of friend that when the call comes, you go. No questions asked, Right or Wrong, Flat or Flush, High or Low, Win or Lose.

"Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno"
"un pour tous, tous pour un"
("One for all, all for one")

WordCount