![]() |
| "Rattler" - the dog that died saving me from a rattlesnake |
![]() |
| The enduring gift of my father - teaching me to "fix things" |
![]() |
| His Golden Age |
Memorable Sayings of My Father:
"What's this 'we' business cat-shit?"
"Every Day's a Holiday, Every Meal's a Feast"
"Cotton is down, to a quarter a pound, and I'm busted"
"Two Goods and A Better"
"Son-of-a-Bitch!"
"It was the government" (re: 9/11)
"I Suppose"
"No Worky, No Eaty"
Things My Father Loved:
Arkansas
A cold beer after a hard day's work, during summer
Country Music
Things My Father Enjoyed:
Pepsi
Fried Chicken
Black-eyed Peas and Fried Okra
Cornbread
Licorice
Bologna Sandwiches
Fishing Greers Ferry Lake
The Tractor Supply Store
Wearing his fancy 3-piece suit at Christmas
Buying Lottery Tickets
My Father's Gifts:
His innate intelligence
Independence of thought
Self-educated
Mechanically gifted
His long-suffering in the face of incompetence
His Honesty
A memory from my youth...sometime in the late 60s, sitting on the front steps of our house in the woods...a summer day...hot and sticky with sweat from clearing brush...
My dad offered me a sip of his beer (Budweiser).
He asked if I liked it.
My reply: "tastes like horse piss".
We never really ever understood each other. But, we were men - and the menfolk don't talk about their feelings in my family.
2026-05-26 Tuesday:
My mother passed away this past Sunday.
After my father passed away in September 2013, it took some time for me to be able to grieve for him. A few years later, while I was living in downtown Seattle - it was a rainy Sunday, the weather was cool - I was sitting outside a Starbucks, enjoying the gentle feeling of the rain...and a feeling of grief for his loss welled up from within,and my tears finally flowed.







No comments:
Post a Comment