There's an eerie feeling I get - when I have been in a room that was previously full of people, bustling with activity - and then afterward - when it is silent and empty.
I'm not talking about an office, staying late one night, after hours.
I'm talking about moments that bridge the before - and the after.
Hotel conference halls - that are suddenly dismantled on the last day of the conference...standing in an empty conference room - as the last table was being folded, the last chair being removed - leaving an emptiness more profound - than just an empty room.
Company offices in which I previously worked - often for periods of years - frequently late into the night - and over the weekends - where I collaborated with colleagues - and shared many adventures - that were emptied of furniture - as the business failed - and closed.
Restaurants - that I enjoyed for years - to peer into their boarded-up interiors - and see dry dusty bones of memories - long gone...
An empty house, or apartment - after the last load has been moved onto the moving truck.
The finality of endings - that haunts me in ways that I do not think that I yet fully grok.
No comments:
Post a Comment