Some people collect stamps - or coins, some do crossword puzzles, some like to complete picture puzzles.
For me, it is collecting bits and pieces of languages.
I have had a life-long love affair with wanting to continue learning new languages. At every opportunity, whether during my international travel - or when working with a new colleague that speaks an unfamiliar language - I have always sought to learn some new bits of the language's vocabulary and phrases.
These are a few notes on just some of the ~48 languages that have caught my interests, over time:
French:
- The first foreign language I formally studied.
- While in Jr. High School, I took two years of French.
- In 1983-1984, and later in the 1990s, I made several trips to Paris (it is NOT a favorite city)
Japanese:
- My passionate interests in Japanese martial arts, naturally led to my study of the Japanese language.
- I can teach a karate training class in reasonable Japanese.
- Increasing my Japanese language skills is one of my top language learning priorites.
German:
- During military service in the U.S. Army, I spent some time living in Bamberg, Bavaria, West Germany (1983-1984).
- Part of my orientation to my new duty assignment included an intensive 40 hour one-week German language class. That helped greatly.
- I also created a karate training program at the local gym on the base - that was also open to local civilians. After training sessions, a number of students would meet at a local beer garden - and it was in those relaxed moments that my grasp of German deepened substantially.
- During the 1983-1984 period, I found myself beginning to think (and dream) in German.
- Some years later, I took two semesters of German while attending university.
- In the early 1990s, a professional consulting assignment took me back to Germany (Frankfurt), for the better part of a year, with back-to-back to trips (3 weeks on site, 1 week back home in the U.S.). Being immersed in German culture again, I found much of my German was easily recalled.
- During a business trip to Istanbul Turkey, my limited German came in *very* handy, when my colleagues and I were jammed in a cab, trying to get the cab driver to get us to a ferry terminal ASAP for an imminent scheduled departure. The Turkish-speaking driver did not speak English, but...he had driven a cab in Germany (!!!) - and spoke German - and we had an enjoyable conversation.
Russian:
- I made a half-hearted attempt to learn some Russian, back in the early 1990s - before I made a solo trip to Moscow.
- It is a difficult language to learn (especially for me, without having someone to practice).
Spanish:
- During my 2004 sailing sabbatical in Mexico, I picked-up quite a bit of Spanish - and continued to improve, during my many trips back to Mazatlan (to spend time aboard my sailboat, that I had left in Marina Mazatlan).
- Later, I took one semester of Spanish at a university.
Polish:
- During a consulting engagement (2001-2002), I spent six months living in Warsaw Poland - and made a good effort to learn enough Polish to be able to give cab drivers instructions, and to order food in restaurants.
Turkish:
- During a two week business trip to Istanbul Turkey, I picked-up a little bit of Turkish.
Arabic:
- In 1981, I spent a month on a military deployment to Egypt - and developed an interest in learning some Arabic.
- In later years, I purchased a CD program to begin my study of Arabic.
- During 2004-2005, I had business trips to Lebanon, and Pakistan - and my very weak Arabic still proved useful in demonstrating that I was keenly interested in learning about their country, their culture, and their languages.
Urdu:
- During 2004-2005, I had a couple of business trips to Karachi Pakistan - and spent some time trying to learn a bit of Urdu. That effort was well received by my business contacts in Pakistan.
Tagalog & Ilocano:
- My ex-wife's family immigrated from the Philippines to Hawaii - they spoke Tagalog & Illocano.
- I learned a smattering of phrases...mostly around food.
Malay:
- I spent some time in Georgetown, on the island of Penang - as well as some time in Kuala Lumpur, Malysia - and have an interest in learning more of this language.
Mandarin Chinese:
- I have developed a very small vocabulary of Mandarin - and would like to significantly expand my skill in this language.
Lakota:
- I have a fascination with the Lakota language, and have spent a small amount of time studying the language.
Future Language Study Interests:
- Greek
- Hebrew
- Hindi
- Latin
- Italian
- Icelandic
- Thai
No comments:
Post a Comment